A Maryland Identification Card, often referred to as a Maryland ID, is an official government-issued identification document for residents of the state of Maryland in the United States who do not hold a valid driver’s license. This ID card serves as proof of identity and residency and can be used for various purposes, such as accessing certain services, opening bank accounts, and verifying age.
Obtaining a Maryland Identification Card:
To obtain a Maryland Identification Card, follow these steps:
- Eligibility: You must be a Maryland resident to apply for a Maryland ID card. There is no minimum age requirement, so individuals of all ages can apply.
- Required Documents:
- Proof of identity, such as a certified birth certificate or passport.
- Proof of Social Security number, which can be established with a Social Security card, W-2 form, or other acceptable documents.
- Proof of Maryland residency, such as a utility bill, bank statement, or rental agreement.
- Visit a Local Maryland MVA Office:
- Locate a nearby Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) office. You can check the MVA website for office locations and hours of operation.
- Complete the DL-002 form, available on the MVA website, or fill it out at the MVA office.
- Provide Biometric Information:
- You will need to have your photograph taken, and your signature and thumbprints will be collected as part of the application process.
- Pay the Fee: There is a fee associated with obtaining a Maryland ID card. The fee may vary depending on factors such as your age and whether you’re obtaining a standard or REAL ID-compliant card. Payment methods may include cash, check, or credit/debit card.
- Receive a Temporary ID: After completing the application and payment, you will receive a temporary identification card, which is valid for 30 days.
- Wait for Your ID Card: Your permanent Maryland ID card will be mailed to your address within a few weeks. Be sure to keep the temporary card and any receipts as proof of application until you receive the permanent card.
REAL ID-Compliant Maryland ID:
Maryland also offers REAL ID-compliant identification cards. REAL ID cards meet federal security standards and are required for activities such as boarding domestic flights and entering federal facilities. To obtain a REAL ID-compliant Maryland ID, you will need to provide additional documentation, including proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful status. This ID card serves as proof of identity and residency and can be used for various purposes, such as accessing certain services, opening bank accounts, and verifying age. A Maryland Identification Card, often referred to as a Maryland ID, is an official government-issued identification document for residents of the state of Maryland in the United States who do not hold a valid driver’s license.
In conclusion, a Maryland Identification Card is a valuable form of identification for residents who do not possess a driver’s license. It provides a secure and government-issued means of proving identity and residency. By following the application process and meeting the necessary requirements, Maryland residents can obtain either a standard or REAL ID-compliant ID card to meet their identification needs.