Standing out in a crowded retail landscape is no easy feat. To rise above the sea of competitors, custom packaging provides an invaluable edge with uniquely designed boxes, bags, containers, and labels to differentiate your product and captivate shoppers.
According to Mordor Intelligence, more than 40 Canadian companies recently unveiled the Canada Plastics Pact, a plan to recycle or compost 50% of Canada’s plastic custom packaging boxes by 2025.
With endless products vying for consumer consideration, compelling packaging is crucial to breaking through the noise. Investing in tailored solutions that reflect your brand story and product benefits is the key to capturing attention.
This article delves into how custom shapes, colours, finishes, and graphics can make your product impossible to ignore. Learn tips for creating shelf-ready packaging that conveys why your product is special and prompts that all-important purchase.
What Are Custom Packaging Boxes?
Custom packaging boxes are boxes that are specially designed and manufactured to meet the specific needs of a business or product. The main benefit of custom boxes is the ability to completely customise the box to fit a particular product, brand, or shipment need.
Customers can choose the dimensions, materials, printing, colours, finishing, etc. They are commonly used for retail products, e-commerce shipments, food packaging, medical supplies, cosmetics, consumer electronics and more. Custom boxes allow brands to stand out.
Benefits of Custom Packaging Boxes
Why should you invest time and money into customised packaging? Here are some of the key advantages:
- Brand Recognition – Your logo, colours, fonts, and other brand assets on the packaging build familiarity and help customers easily identify your product.
- Shelf Appeal – Unique shapes, graphics, finishes, and messaging on custom boxes make your product stand out from competitors.
- Customer Experience – Custom packaging that is easy to open, use, and dispose of improves customer satisfaction.
- Sustainability – Customised packaging means minimal waste since it is designed specifically for the product versus one-size-fits-all.
- Security – Tamper-evident seals, anti-theft features, and durable materials protect the product inside.
- Consistency – Packaging reinforces brand image across multiple product lines and communicates quality.
Grabbing Attention with Color and Graphics
Colour palettes and visuals are one of the fastest ways for custom printed boxes to capture shopper attention. Consider the following elements:
- Color Psychology – Colors evoke emotions, so select hues that convey your brand. Blue and green represent trust, calm, and nature. Bold reds and oranges grab attention.
- Cohesive Look – Use colours and elements tied to logo, website, and other branding for consistency. Custom illustrations and product photos also reinforce brand identity.
- Readability – Darker colours and clear space around text improve legibility on shelves. Gloss or matte coatings further make text and graphics pop.
- Shelf Differentiation – Vivid, bright packaging looks distinct next to competitors. Metallic, neon, and dual-tones stand out in the category of single colours.
- Target Audience – Colors and graphics can reflect who your target customer is. Feminine or masculine, luxury or budget conscious, traditional or modern sensibilities.
Maximising the Structure and Shape With Custom Packaging Solutions
Beyond graphics, the physical form of custom packaging solutions impacts visibility and function:
- Dimensions – Scale the packaging to minimise unused space. Eliminate bulky or oversized boxes that waste materials.
- Balance – Design structural stability so packages can be stacked neatly and won’t topple over in transit.
- Ergonomics – Consider easy hand grips, lightweight handle holes, and smart dimensions for improved portability.
- Windows – Die-cut openings spotlight the product inside while maintaining security.
- Unique Shapes – Custom outlines, edges, or silhouettes for the packaging help differentiate your product.
- Shelf-Ready – Allow product to be displayed in packaging through tear-away strips, sleeve trays, or other built-in retail features.
Standing Out With Special Finishes and Touches
You can apply special print finishes, touches, and box treatments to add tactile dimensions to packaging:
- Soft Touch Lamination – A velvety coating makes the packaging feel plush and luxurious.
- Spot UV – Strategic shiny varnish on certain graphics and text makes them stand out.
- Textured Finishes – Linen, matte, gloss, and other coatings provide visual and tactile variety.
- Foil Stamping – Metallic gold, silver, and holographic foil accents add elegance and flair.
- Embossing and Debossing – Subtle raised or recessed images and text add premium dimension.
- Specialty Inks – Metallic, scratch-off, thermochromic, glow-in-the-dark inks create captivating effects.
Connecting the Dots!
Distinctive packaging is a powerful tool for making retail products memorable. Custom packaging catches the consumer’s eye while positively presenting the brand story. Partnering with an experienced company like Viveprinting ensures access to the latest materials and printing effects to create packaging with shelf-popping appeal.
Their expertise in graphic design, manufacturing, and sustainability helps craft boxes, bags, and displays uniquely tailored for products in the Canadian market. Captivate customers and elevate your brand image with custom packaging that showcases what is special about your product.
Q1: How can custom packaging drive up sales?
Unique packaging stands out, building brand recognition with the best graphic design. It also improves customer experience and reinforces product quality – all of which help in driving up sales.
Q2: What graphic elements can add to these packaging which grab customer’s attention?
Vivid and bold colours, custom illustrations, high-resolution product photos, readable fonts, and the use of brand assets make a package noticeable.
Q3: How should custom boxes be structured and shaped?
Consider minimal dimensions, ergonomic handles, die-cut windows, shelf-ready features, and unique silhouettes or edges that differentiate.
Q4: What special finishes can make packaging stand out?
Soft touch lamination, spot UV, textured coatings, foil stamping, embossing/debossing, and specialty inks add a premium feel and visual appeal.
Q5: What should be considered when designing custom packaging?
Focus on reflective brand identity, easy product visibility, maximised shelf presence, consumer convenience, and eco-friendly materials.